Thursday, April 24, 2014

Buenos aires, Carhue and Iguazu falls make one hell of an adventure

After staying way longer than I was anticipating in Chalten, I ended up taking my return flight back to buenos aires rather than hitching all the way back up. I got back into contact with the family that I had met in Bolivia to see if they wanted to meet up during my time in the bustling city of BA. Not only were they excited to meet up but they ended up hosting me for two weeks. When I got to their amazing apartment in downtown Palermo, a bed was made up for me and dinner was just about ready on the table. Things could not be going better. They ended up showing me around their massive city and then for Easter vacation we all drove down to their home town of a whopping 10,000 people out in the boonies. It was a great change being out in the middle of nowhere after being in a city of millions of people. 

Here's a few of Buenos aires:






The moment we arrived in Carhue, we were greeted with a full asado, or grill, all cooked up. The asado consisted of steak, lamb and chorizo along with side salads, fresh loaves if bread and some amazing bottles of wine from the Mendoza Vinyards. Our fine eating didn't stop there. The following day we went to their aunts house for some amazing pasta dishes and hordourves (I can't seem to spell that right but I'm sure you understand it haha). Then for the Easter celebration, we had a huge asado at their dad's house along with pies and tortas galore, salads and pastries. It was incredible to be able to share the amazing meals with all of them. It was unlike any grill I had ever had. 

Just outside of their hometown of Carhue lies this incredibly eerie town that was flooded and abandoned leaving ruins tracing across the valley. 

 Here are a few shots to give you an idea.  

This is the old slaughter house, El Matadero

The public pool now surrounded with water in and around it. 

After an amazing time with my friends in buenos aires and the surrounding areas, I packed my backs and set out for a world that I knew very little about: Iguazu falls. I knew that there were some huge falls. That about sums up my previous knowledge. I had no idea that they were situated in dense amazon jungles or that they were more than huge. They were gigantic! And it wasn't just one, not two or a few but hundreds of falls coming together falling off of a plateau and surging into one angry river. 

Standing on the lookout over the Main portion of the falls was incredible! The energy and power of the falls took over me and I couldn't help but just laugh at how amazing they were. 


Some light coming in perfectly at the end of the day 

I found Jurassic park 



Garganta del Diablo (the devils throat)


There's a boat ride that you can take to go right up close and personal to the power of the falls to get pummeled by water. I did that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment